Please check the new postings at:
sake, shochu and sushi
Mussles are plentiful at the big supermarkets in Shizuoka Prefecture, where thay can be bough fresh.
Here a great simple appetizer you can offer any time of the year.
Remember this is only the basic recipe to which you can add your own spices, herbs and vegetables!
INGREDIENTS (for 2 people)
24 large mussles
1 medium-size onion
2 large garlic cloves
a small length of celery
a fistful of fresh basil leaves
hal f a cup (100cc) of tomato puree
1 cup of white wine
Salt, pepper, clove, nutmeg to taste
1) Clean and brush mussles
2) Pour the wine in a large deep pan and heat over medium fire
3) Cook mussles inside the pot until all mussles are open (discard theones you can’t open)
4) Take mussles out of the pot, drain and extract shellfish. Keep the 8 largest half shells
5) In a fry pan pour some olive oil and cook over medium fire the onions, shallots, celery, garlic and basil, all finely chopped (add any fresh herbs available and of your liking)
6) Stop fire when onions and shallots have become soft and transparent. Pour the lot into a mixing bowl. Add tomato puree, salt, pepper, nutmeg and clove. Mix well. Check taste and adjust.
7) Place 3 mussles in each shell. Cover with with above mixture (the more, the better!) and sprinkle breadcrumbs all over.
8) Cook in oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes at the last moment.
9) On individual plates, cut and place tomatoes and cucumbers (or let you imagination run!) as shown on photograph. Sprinkle with dressing of your choice.
Take mussles out of the oven and place them on plates.
Eat at once!