To give a little help (actually he helps me!) Russell Deasley, the mastermind of a superior Homepage/Blog with the name of THE TOP 10…of Anything and Everything! I have been thinking what could be the different “10”, be they the best, worst or whatever, I could come up with. And the ideas are coming fast and thick!
I’m not a vegetarian or vegan but I love vegetables and I’m always keen to check what the chef at any restaurant I visit (and I visit quite a few because this is one of my occupations!) can achieve with vegetables only!
Here are what I would consider the best 10 vegetables dishes I ever had (so far!) in Japan. Mind you, they were all enjoyed inside Shizuoka City, a bias helped by the simply mind-blowing number of varieties grown in Shizuoka Prefecture!
1) Wok-fried at Annam Restaurant, Vietnamese Cuisine!
2) Fried and steamed vegetables appetizer at Aquavite, Italian Cuisine!
3) vegetables Terrine at Caravin, French Cuisine!
4) Steamed vegetables at Cham, Chinese Cuisine!
5) Japanese pickles at Kawakatsu, Japanese cuisine (this is an exception as it is located in Fujieda City!)!
6) Steamed and stir-fried vegetables appetizer at Pissenlit, French Cuisine!
7) Steamed and sauteed-baked vegatables appetizer at Tetsuya Sugimoto, French Cuisine!
8) “Goro goro” stir-fried vegetables at Uzu, Japanese Izakaya Cuisine!
9) Vegetables Sashimi Plate at Yasai tei, Japanese Izakaya Cuisine!
10) “Eggplant Vegetables Steak” at Tetsuya Sugimoto, French Cuisine!
RECOMMENDED RELATED WEBSITES
Shop with Intent by Debbie
BULA KANA in Fiji
Kraemer’s Culinary blog by Frank Kraemer in New York,Tokyo Food File by Robbie Swinnerton, Green Tea Club by Satoshi Nihonyanagi in Shizuoka!, Mind Some by Tina in Taiwan, Le Manger by Camille Oger (French), The Indian Tourist, Masala Herb by Helene Dsouza in Goa, India, Mummy I Can Cook! by Shu Han in London, Pierre.Cuisine, Francescannotwrite, My White Kitchen, Foodhoe, Chucks Eats, Things that Fizz & Stuff, Five Euro Food by Charles,Red Shallot Kitchen by Priscilla,With a Glass, Nami | Just One Cookbook, Peach Farm Studio, Clumsyfingers by Xethia, PepperBento, Hapabento, Kitchen Cow, Lunch In A Box, Susan at Arkonlite, Vegan Lunch Box; Tokyo Tom Baker, Daily Food Porn/Osaka, Only Nature Food Porn, Happy Little Bento, J-Mama’s Kitchen, Cook, Eat, Play, Repeat, Bento Lunch Blog (German), Adventures In Bento, Anna The Red’s Bento Factory, Ohayo Bento,
Must-see tasting websites:
-Sake: Tokyo Through The Drinking Glass, Tokyo Foodcast, Urban Sake, Sake World
-Wine: Palate To Pen, Warren Bobrow, Cellar Tours, Ancient Fire Wines Blog
-Beer: Another Pint, Please!, Beering In Good Mind: All about Craft Beer in Kansai by Nevitt Reagan!
-Whisky: Nonjatta: All about whisky in Japan by Stefan Van Eycken
-Japanese Pottery to enjoy your favourite drinks: Yellin Yakimono Gallery
Non gastronomy must-see sites by Shizuoka Residents
HIGHOCTANE/HAIOKU by Nick Itoh in Shizuoka City
One thought on “My 10 Best Vegetables Dishes in Japan”
I would add to this the amazing avocado, mayonnaise and walnuts that I learnt from your wife’s bentos!